Stories&Photographs

Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Naiad

The sun rose. It was morning again. Another day yet to begin. Each day was a new beginning to the villagers. Each day was a new hope. Each day was so much different from yesterday. But for the naiad, who bathes in the fountain, each day was as worse as the day before.

The naiad was never allowed to leave the fountain. She was to spend each minute of her life watching the villagers as the water gently sprayed on her. It was a pleasure, really, to stay with the thing she really liked. The water was the only thing she looked forward to each morning. For when the sun rises, the water will begin to splash on her. She felt contented with what the god gave her, an eternity of pleasure.

The naiad would watch as the villagers pass by. She would secretly smile when young men adore her beauty and grace. One of these young men came to visit her each morning. He would watch as the naiad bathed in the fountain. The naiad enjoyed having company, or rather, someone who would not only look then leave but someone who would stay and watch. This man became the thing the naiad looked forward to each day.

The naiad became terribly lonely soon. No, the man had not stopped visiting. In fact, he began to stay even longer, until noon. When the young man leaves at noon, the naiad would silently speak.

Oh, how terrible this curse you landed upon me, god! Did you not tell me that you loved me? And that you will love me for eternity? And did I not tell you that I can no longer love you back? You listened to me, yes, and you told me that you will not want nothing from me but to see me smile and enjoy your gifts. And I believed you! But can you not see that I suffer? Can you not see that your gifts keep me away from the real happiness? Can you not see that you lock me away from my joy? It was you who said that I must be happy. Have you gone so selfish that you would not allow me to be one? Now I realize why you gave me my eternal pleasure. You never wanted me to feel happiness.
It was all self-interest. You did this so men could do nothing but stare at me. Now god, I want to be happy. Release me from this marble that encloses me. Allow me to feel happiness. Allow me to fall in love.

##So who was the naiad? Click here.
##The author was inspired by the naiad and another thing she wishes not to mention.^^


3 Comments:

Blogger aba?! said...

um... di marunong makontento naiad na yan... tsk... lahat naman ng tao ganyan eh... pareparehas tayong di marunong makontento...

January 23, 2008 10:00 PM  
Blogger Kriselle said...

Poor naiad. She's not even sure if the man loves her back.

January 27, 2008 12:40 AM  
Blogger Alyzza said...

poor naiad. i agree.

she didn't care if the man loves her back or not, i guess. she was willing to take a risk and feel pain just to feel happiness. falling in love is fun anyway. it's letting go that hurts. and she was willing to do all that. just to feel that she's falling in love.

January 27, 2008 9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home