Stories&Photographs

Friday, March 28, 2008

Nemesis

My passion for Greek mythology just came back and as a welcome, I'll dedicate this post to Nemesis.

Why "I am Nemesis"? It's certainly not the song "Nemesis" from the Cradle of Filth's Nymphetamine. "I am Nemesis" was mentioned there several times but it's certainly not where I got my idea from.

I love Nemesis. Nemesis is the right hand of Zeus, the Goddess of Righteous Anger, the Goddess of Divine Retribution, the Goddess of Revenge, the jailer of Tartarus, the indignation against, and retribution for evil deeds and undeserved good fortune, and the personification of the resentment of men who committed crimes. She is also called Adrasteia and Rhamnusia or Rhamnusis, in honor of her sanctuary in Rhamnos.

Nemesis never allowed the guilty or the good to escape their just reward. She would never allow someone to be happier than s/he should be. She would recompense those who were unhappy or less fortunate than they should be. She punished those who have excessive pride, undeserved happiness, and the absence of moderation. She represented divine justice, vengeance and karma. She helped Zeus implement justice. Nemesis was always sure to set things straight in the end.

Often depicted as a winged goddess, Nemesis was as beautiful as Aphrodite. Her parents were said to be either Nyx (Night) alone without a father, or the Titans Oceanus and Tethys.

Nemesis is considered to be the mother of Helen and the twins called the Dioscuri. Some says that Zeus once fell in love with Nemesis so he followed her on land and sea. Nemesis avoided Zeus by frequently changing forms, finally transforming into a goose. However, Zeus took the form of a swan. From the egg Nemesis laid came Helen, the cause of the renowned Trojan War.


Remember my "wrath post"? I noticed I sounded like Nemesis there, planing to punish those who have the absence of moderation to avenge victims of injustice. As much as I wanted to be Nemesis (punish mortals for their avarice, and recompense those who didn't receive the happiness they deserved), I just can't. I'll just leave everything to Nemesis. But I could act like Nemesis when I'm feeling evil. *evil cackle*

"This is that ancient doctrine of nemesis who keeps watch in the universe, and lets no offense go unchastised." --Emerson.

Links:
www.theoi.com/Daimon/Nemesis.html
www.waltm.net/nemesis.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemesis_(mythology)
thanasis.com/modern/nemesis.htm
ancienthistory.about.com/library/bl/bl_nemesis.htm
www.podsnet.org/Soteg/Articles/Nemesis-whois.html
http://www.elfwood.com/art/a/z/azurylipfe/heidi_azurylipfe_d__nemisis_goddess_of__revenge_21092005small.jpg.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home