Stories&Photographs

Monday, May 04, 2009

What To Do When You're Lost

Okay. What to do when you found yourself lost and scared in the middle of a strange place. The first thing to do would be to find a way to get back or at least, to get to the nearest place you know well. Suddenly, you find your heart beating so fast because you don't know how to get there.

My sister Angel would recommend this guide.

How to get there:
1. Hail a cab.
2. Tell the driver to take you to [insert location here].
3. Pay the driver.

That's how she gave me the directions to get to Humana some weeks ago. Haha. But I can't follow her guide because I might get broke. I mean, I'm not scared to get broke. I'm afraid of what Dad might say if I get broke because I got lost. See, I suddenly found myself lost in the wilderness of Pasay City. What?! How the heck did I get here? And I don't know how many miles I'm far away from where I should be so I couldn't take a cab. I might end up begging for alms in the busy streets of Manila. Yeah, I don't know how I got to Manila.

Then I saw an LRT! Finally, a thing familiar to me. I sort of know the stations and if you follow the LRT line correctly, you might get to where you wanted to be. I'm making this clear; I saw an LRT, not an LRT station. So I followed the route until there it was, the station! I remember walking past PLM on the way to the station, Ate Daphne popped to my mind. I also saw the "Kalaw St." sign Effie was talking about when she was giving us (me and Errol) directions on how to get to UST. That reminds me, we were late during the USTET. I'm sorry, Errol!

Going back, I found the station! So I danced around a bit and stopped when I discovered that it doesn't have a straight route to Ayala. I had it take me to EDSA, instead. Then I traveled under the scorching sun and got in a bus with an "Ayala (Ibabaw)" sign. A kind man told me that if I get in one with "Ilalim", I'll miss Ayala once it goes back up again. You know what, I almost forgot his advice. Hahaha.

Happiness filled me when I saw the buildings of Ayala. I was hopping and dancing again! I got off at Ayala Station and bade the bus goodbye. And I saw SM, and Glorietta, and oh, the Ayala skies! Finally, a place I know! Figuratively and somehow literally, I never saw the skies in Pasay. And Manila. It was hot. It was dark. It was crowded. It was strange. I was scared. Haha.

I walked to 6750 Bldg, and got in an elevator. Then I discovered that the elevator I was in can't take me to the 14th floor. It can only go as far as 10th floor? I don't know. I can't remember. Then I was like, what the heck? Am I lost again? In a building?! Please don't tell me that I'm at the wrong one and this is not 6750. I got off the elevator and got in one of the elevators on the other side. Thank God there was Button #14.

I met the kind receptionist again and she asked me to sit and wait for my sister. I waited for like, 15 minutes? What's taking my sister so long? I want to see someone I know. And she suddenly appeared, as if coming down from the heavens. I couldn't wait to tell her all the stuff I had gone through. And how I was oh-so happy that I'm back. And how I'm very proud that I didn't take a cab.

And she did what any other sister would do.

Sister: Ano ba 'yan? Akala ko ba marunong ka na?
Me:Akala ko din eh.
S:Pa'no ka nakarating sa Pasay? Wahahahaha.
M: Ewan, nadaanan 'ko pa nga ung La Salle eh.
S: Sa Taft 'yun ah. Wahahahahaha.
M: Tapos nakita 'ko pa 'yung PLM, Rizal Park, UPM, PGH, at napakadami pang iba. Ang dilim pa. Ang init. Ang daming tao. Scary.
S: Ganun talaga dun. Kawawa ka naman. Wahahahaha.
M: Gutom na 'ko. Birthday mo naman 'di ba? Libre mo 'ko.
S: Ayaw.

And so I ate lunch with her and her colleagues.

S: Naligaw siya papunta dito. Nakarating siya sa Pasay.
Colleagues: OH?!?!
S: O, alam mo na kung saan ka pupunta.
M: Oo, Quezon Ave.
S: Anong Quezon Ave? Sasakay ka na ng bus.
M: Pupunta pa 'ko sa UP, sa UHS.
S: Alam mo kung pa'no pumunta dun?
M: Oo.
C: Sabihin mo sa driver sa University Health Service. 'Pag hindi niya alam, sabihin mo 'hospital'. Hospital. May katapat 'yun na bilog na structure. Bilog ah. Baka maligaw ka ulit.

After fighting my way to get in the MRT, I finally got to UP.

Note: Please don't tell me I'm so stupid for getting lost. And that I'm shallow. That would ruin my self-esteem and believe me, it couldn't get any more ruined. Hey, I managed to get back from a strange place. I fought my way into crowded trains. I didn't stumble while it was in motion. And, I wasn't holding on to anything. Haha.

11 Comments:

Blogger Kriselle said...

Ahh, the terror of being lost. What happened to you was extreme - I don't even know how Pasay or Ayala (that's not Ayala Alabang, right?) looks like. /fail And I'm not familiar with MRTs or LRTs, either XD Glad you got home safe!

May 04, 2009 9:31 PM  
Blogger Alyzza said...

I didn't know what Pasay looked like either. I only based it from the signs I read. LOL.

I didn't tell anyone where I was. They would be like, "Ayala lang eh." I told myself that the only time I would seek help is when I don't get back to Ayala at 12nn.

May 04, 2009 11:49 PM  
Anonymous nightowl said...

Ahihi. Welcome to the real world! Welcome to Manila, it's about time :p At least you found your way back, congratulations! Unli ka naman eh so you can always text people and ask them if you don't know. I've been commuting (though in Alabang) since 2nd year HS. I'm not as sheltered as you :p

I got lost many times - at some Lola's backyard in Batangas when I was little, in San Pedro, etc. Just remember when you get lost, always always find your way back. Regardless if you lose all your money. That doesn't matter. What matters is that you're whole and you found your way back. And don't be afraid to get lost again :p

May 05, 2009 7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good thing you got home safely. that's one thing i hate about going out alone. you are alone on that unfamiliar place with unfamiliar faces. scary. haha.

i miss reading your blog.

May 05, 2009 1:53 PM  
Anonymous effie said...

aw.
bakit naman kasi lumayas ka mag-isa?haha. but then, you were courageous (whoa, sounds like a hero to me) enough to find your way back--without seeking help. haha. i would've cried in the middle of the streets if i was in your shoes. LOL.

May 08, 2009 7:30 AM  
Anonymous joyce said...

I've never gone that far alone.My parents always make sure I have someone with me because they think I'm still a baby.:(

May 09, 2009 5:18 PM  
Anonymous joanne said...

coool! hahaha. bryan and I experienced the same thing while we were enrolling. :)))))

May 17, 2009 10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

word verification: inesser

the last paragraph is so proud. just what i expected.

i frequently visit buendia / magallanes so that's what i just know.

i need to remember those routes so i can ride the lrt [from buendia] and mrt [from magallanes].

"Ayala lang eh." Yeah. You need to get lost somewhere like... Malate, Ermita, Rockwell, Malabon, Valenzuela, Ortigas and stuff.

May 22, 2009 5:30 PM  
Blogger Alyzza said...

Hey, what do you mean proud?

Hm..buti na lang 1 ride lang ako. 1 mrt lang tapos jeep na to UP. Hahaha.

May 25, 2009 9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ngayon ko lang nabasa to...


oo... mahirap nga maligaw... kaya nga lagi akong nagtatanong ng landmarks kapag bumabyahe ako sa isang unfamiliar place eh...


maganda yung guide ng ate mo... kung rich ka... aabutin ka nyan ng 500+ kung napakalayo ng lugar na pupuntahan mo... :))


isipin mo n lng, nakasurvive ka.. ^^

June 02, 2009 8:56 AM  
Blogger Alyzza said...

hahaha. rich sya e. mabbroke ako pag nag taxi ako everywhere no. pero last resort ko talaga un. hahaha.

June 02, 2009 9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home