Stories&Photographs

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Part 4: Bio 118 Field Trip

If I could then I would not blog about the fourth installment so I won't have to feel the pain of saying goodbye and that our field trip has officially ended. But these little things I realized happened on the ride back home, I must write them.

We were given two choices this morning: (1) spend the whole morning sleeping until the bus arrives, and (2) go hiking in Mt. Makiling. Of course I picked the second option. It would be embarrassing to just sleep when all I did the other night was sing. And I know that if my sister Angel were there with me, she would probably scold me and tell me that I must not let the experience slip away and that I wasn't on the trip to sleep.

We were supposed to go to Mudspring but since it was too far away, we went to Flat Rocks instead. It was a long way up. Mainly because I had no idea where we were going. The way up was actually easy because the path was wide and only a little rough. What was difficult was when we encountered this sign.


Those are my classmates before the sign.

We turned left as we were headed to Flat Rocks. Now we were not only climbing up the mountain, we were climbing around the mountain. What made the hike even harder was the slippery rocks and the muddy path. Every step we took made a squishing sound. Squish, squish, squish. And you had to be careful not to slip or you would fall down the cliff and God only knows what would happen next.

We reached the site after some time. It looked a bit safer than the Hortorium because the rocks were large and flat. And the water was not so deep. I immediately soaked my aching feet in the water and ohmy, the water was freezing. There were many large and colorful butterflies and dragonflies flying above us. I could have spent the whole time chasing them but for some unknown reasons, my head was in so much pain. I turned my attention to the flies instead, which were relatively easier to catch. I managed to get two of them.



One of my classmates caught a dragonfly for me.

The way back to the guesthouse was, obviously, easier. We showered and packed while waiting for the bus. I wasn't waiting for the bus, actually. I was waiting for Mom, Dad, and my sister Angel, who were coming to pick me up. They arrived, at long last, at the same time as the bus arrived. I went to search for my professor who excused himself to someone he was talking to to accompany me outside.

"Is that your sister (in the car)?"

"Yes, sir. With my parents. Bye, sir."

"Bye, Alyzza. See you on Wednesday."

I'll see you sir.

I replayed the whole trip in my mind on the ride home. I remembered how much I hated going to that trip and having to miss the annual party. You know what, I'm glad I picked the field trip over the party. I would actually give anything to relive the experience one more time. Or maybe just spend one more night in Elbi. I also thought of starting to work seriously on my insect collection now. I only have two months left and I still have around 120 to catch. I might have chosen who my thesis adviser will be. If things go well, I might miss that annual party again. When that time comes, I know it will be worth it.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home