Stories&Photographs

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Catch A Falling Star

It was told that stars were actually maidens. And that when one sees a shooting star, he must hurry to find it for that star is the same woman you shall love and who shall love you back. Nobody knows where they came from. Some folks believe that maidens are rewards to those young men who are patient and hardworking. Some believes that the gods punish the maidens who have sinned by hanging them in the sky. Some believes that the man and his star shall grow old together. The man shall wither and the star shall turn into stardust. The rest of the village, well, they believe that it was just a story the elders made up to make the boys work harder.

It was different for this particular young man who works for the builders. He simply believes that stars are maidens. He has actually chosen a star from the hundreds he sees each night. He has always been fascinated with that little star at the far side, away from the other brighter stars. He has always wanted that star, ever since he was a little boy. He would view that star from his bedroom window and just watch it shine. He would watch it while waiting for the sandman to come. He would watch it until it was time to say good night. It has always been the same scenario every night, ever since he was a little boy. Ever since his best friend left the village.

One fortunate night he asked the star, "Why will you not fall for me?" He was sitting by a river on top of a mountain. The young man was helping the builders build a bridge across the river and they have been working since morning. They stopped to rest only when the stars started appearing. "You know I have had my eyes fixed upon you. Never did I turn my gaze away from you even as I see a shooting star at the corner of my eye. Years I have waited and I am willing to wait more," he continued.

To his surprise, the star replied. "Please accept my sincerest apologies for I am to remain bound in the heavens until I have learned to forgive and the other to apologize. Only then when I have forgiven and my heart has been purified can I be one of those shooting stars you usually ignore."

"Then why not forgive now? So I could catch you and ask you to marry me."

"Alas, my forgiveness has not been asked for yet. Ask and it shall be given, then seal it with a promise that such a tragedy will never happen again. I can not love with an impure heart, you see. If favorable events happen and I fall, will you catch me?"

"I will even ask you to marry me."

"What then shall I call my lovely fiancé?"

"Gabriel."

"Angelic. Call me Ceres."

"You're celestial."

Years passed and the young man has become a skilled builder. The star has still not fallen but the builder has not lost hope. On top of that same mountain where he and his star first talked, he decided to build a tower. One that is tall enough to reach his star. Every night he sleeps on top of his unfinished tower and resumes his work early in the morning. More years passed and his tower grew taller and taller. The builder thought of speaking to his star one night so he asked, "Who is that person you have to forgive?"

"I honestly do not know who that person is," the star replied, "It happened a very long time ago. All I can remember is that I got so furious, so furious that I even pushed people away."

"Hundreds, or even thousands ask for forgiveness each day. How will you know who the right one is? Will you just magically fall once the word has been spoken?"

"Magically," the star giggled, "Yes, I shall magically fall into your arms and we shall get married."

Even more years passed and still his star has not touched the earth. But this did not stop the builder from continuing to work on his tower. He worked even harder this time; he barely stops to rest. He worked day and night until he fell ill.

"Gabriel!" The star gasped.

"Are you about to fall?" The builder asked.

"I regret to say I am not. But your body is aging! You must rest. You are not as strong as you were years ago."

"Then I would never reach you. True enough I am beginning to feel weak. And truer still, I would never ever, ever reach you. I probably did not work enough. Stars are rewards to those who are patient and hardworking. I feel so weak that it seems impossible for me to even watch the sun rise later." He closed his eyes then continued, "Forgive me, Ceres."

"Gabriel, I'm--"

There was a thump.

"Here," the star whispered.

"So it was me all along?" The builder asked smiling, his eyes still closed.

"I would have to say yes. I fell on your right arm; I guess you caught me."

"I'm sorry I'm too weak to go down on my knees right now and ask you to marry me. Maybe when the sun is up? Then we shall get married in the afternoon. I want to show you the village. The village is friendly. You must meet my mother. She will like you. And my father too. You would also love to see the bridges and the towers I have built. All those helped me acquire the skills I needed to build our tower. Do you like animals? I have a dog at home I call 'Vanilla'. I am certain that you will like her."

The star cried.

"Are you crying?" The builder asked. "I am about to open my eyes. Would you allow your tears to cover your beauty? Let me see how beautiful my bride is."

The star wiped her face and smiled as the builder opened his eyes. He smiled and said, "Lie with me." The fallen star obeyed and rested her head on the builder's chest.

"The sun is about to rise, look," the star pointed to the sun.

"I thought I'd never live to watch the sunrise with you. Do you like our tower? I am not yet finished building it but your presence seems to complete it. I shall finish it later, after we get married. But I have to rest first," he closed his eyes, "Would you be willing to help?"

The star smiled and nodded as she watched her feet and her legs turn into stardust. Soon there were only stardust and the builder on top of the unfinished tower.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home